Pre-implantation Genetic Screening (PGS) and Diagnosis (PGD) have revolutionized the world of infertility treatments and In-vitro Fertilization (IVF). It provides a far greater insights, choices and control to the infertility specialists and IVF practitioners which further enable them to improve their treatment approach.
One of the most common causes for recurrent pregnancy loss in both normal as well as IVF pregnancies is the presence of incorrect number of chromosomes. If there are extra or missing chromosomes, the embryo is abnormal and it may lead to a spontaneous abortion. Even if the pregnancy is complete, the child will be abnormal.
Thus screening of the embryos before implantation can help improve the chances of a successful pregnancy outcome and a healthy baby.
PGS – an essential aid for all IVF cases
PGS is a genetic test which involves screening of embryos before they are implanted in the patient during the IVF treatment. This screening helps differentiate the chromosomally normal embryos from abnormal ones. By planting the normal or healthy embryos, the chances of conception are significantly improved.
Benefits of PGS
- Higher chance of pregnancy
- Reduced risk of miscarriage
- Reduced number of IVF cycles needed to achieve pregnancy
- More confidence in transferring a single embryo, avoiding health risks associated with twin or triplet pregnancies
How it Works
PGS/PGD can easily be integrated in the IVF treatment plans. Here’s how it works:
- IVF CYCLE – Multiple embryos are produced through an IVF cycle
- EMBRYO BIOPSY – A few cells are carefully removed from the part of the embryo that will form the placenta. Samples are sent to the laboratory while your embryos remain safe at your clinic
- PGS – Labassure uses cutting edge technology to analyze the genetic material present within each embryo
- TRANSFER & IMPROVED CHANCE OF SUCCESS – Embryos most likely to result in success are selected for transfer or can be frozen for future use
For more information, contact our sales representatives to guide you about integrating the PGS/PGD in your infertility treatments.